In this article, we will share MP Board Class 6th Science Solutions Chapter 1 Food: Where Does it Come From? Pdf, These solutions are solved subject experts from the latest edition books.
MP Board Class 6th Science Solutions Chapter 1 Food: Where Does it Come From?
Food: Where Does it Come From? Text Book Exercise
Do you find that all living beings need the same kind of food?
No, we know that the different organisms eat different kinds of food. For example, human being eats roti, dal, rice, bread, vegetables and rice, etc. Buffalo, cow and some other animals eats grass, oil cake, grains, hay, etc. Cat and dog eats small animals, milk, roti, bread and birds, etc. Tiger, lion eat other animals. Thus, we can say that different living beings eat different kind of food.
Name the five plants and their parts that we eat?
Parts that we eat:
- Roots and leaves
- Seeds, oil and leaves
Match the items in Column A with that in Column B.
Fill up the blanks with the words gives:
herbivore, plant, milk, sugarcane, carnivore
- Tiger is a ……………………… because it eats only meat.
- Deer eats only plants products and so, is called ……………………….
- Parrot eats only ………………….. products.
- The …………………….. that we drink, which comes from cows, buffaloes and goats is an animal product.
- We get sugar from ……………………..
Projects And Activities
You must have seen a garden lizard around your home. Next time whenever you see it, observe carefully and find out what it takes for food. Is the food different from that of a house lizard?
A garden lizard takes mosquitoes, house flies while a house lizard takes insects only.
Make a list (with pictures, when possible) of food items generally taken by people of different regions of India. Place these on a large outline map of India to display in your classroom?
Find out the names of plants that grow in water and which are eaten as food?
Lotus, lily, algae and chest – nut, etc. are grow in water and which are eaten as food.
Make a table to show that the type of food the animals eat?
In the table give below names of some of the things are given. Write their uses and sources in front of them?
Prepare a table to show animals which eats only plants, other animals and both plants and animals?
Make a table that what do your friends eat?
Make a table to show some food items and their ingredients?
Food items and their ingredients
Prepare a table to show ingredients used to prepare food items and their sources?
Ingredients used to prepare food items and their sources
How will you sprout the seeds?
1. Take some dry seeds of chana or raoong.
2. Put a small quantity of seeds is a container filled with water and leave this aside for a day.
3. Next day, drain the water completely and leave the seeds in the vessel. Wrap them with a piece of wet cloth and set aside.
4. The following day, a small white structure may have grown out of the seeds. If so, the seeds have sprouted.
If not, wash the seeds in water, drain the water and leave them aside for another day, covered with a wet cloth.
5. Further, the next day, the seeds would have sprouted.
6. Further, the next day, the seeds would have sprouted.
7. After washing these sprouted seeds, we can eat them.
8. They can also be boiled. Add some spices and get a tasty snack to eat.
Food: Where Does it Come From? Intex Questions
Paheli want to know if any of our food comes from sources other than plants and animals?
Paheli wants to know where you would place human beings, while filling table of Activity 6?
Food: Where Does it Come From? Additional Important Questions
Objective Type Questions Food: Where Does it Come From?
Choose the correct answer:
Cat is a omnivores because it eats:
(c) Both of these
(d) None of these.
(c) Both of these
Sugar is made from:
The source of chicken curry is:
(c) Both of these
(d) None of these
Seeds of mustard plants give us:
(c) Both of these
(d) None of these
Human beings are –
(d) None of these
Fill in the blanks:
- Food is essential for all ………………….. beings.
- Animals provides us ……………………..
- All animals are …………………… because of their food habits.
- Horse is a herbivorous animal because it eats …………………………
- Honey is obtained from …………………….
- Honey – Bees.
Which of the following statements are true (T) or false (F):
- Milk gives us proteins.
- Animals that feed on both plants and animals are called omnivorous.
- Animals do not provide us food.
- All living beings need the same kind of food.
- Animals do not depend for their food on plants.
- Human beings are omnivores.
Give one word for the following:
- Animals which eat plants and plant products only.
- Animals which eat other animals.
- Animals which eat both plants and animals.
Match the names of same animals in column A with their common food in column B:
(i) – (c)
(ii) – (f)
(iii) – (a)
(iv) – (g)
(v) – (b)
(vi) – (e)
(vii) – (d)
Food: Where Does it Come From? Very Short Answer Type Questions
How many materials or ingredients are needed to prepare a dish of boiled rice?
Two, i.e., raw rice and water.
What are the sources of rice or wheat?
The sources of rice or wheat are fields and plants.
Name some food products we obtain from animals?
Milk, egg and meat.
Which animals provide us milk?
Buffalo and cow.
Which animals provide us eggs?
Name some animals that provide us food?
Buffalo, cow and goat.
Which parts of a plant are our food?
We eat many leafy vegetables. We eat fruits of some plants. Sometimes roots, stems and even flowers of plant are our food.
Name any two oil – yielding plants?
Sunflower and mustard plants.
What are herbivorous?
The animals which depend on only green plants for their food like cow, goat, etc.
What are carnivorous?
The animals which eat only other animals Tiger and Lion are carnivorous.
What are omnivorous?
The animals who can feed on plants and other animals both are called omnivorous like man, cat, dog, etc.
Name any two invertebrates?
What is the food of a frog?
What is the food of fishes?
It feeds upon microplants and aquatic insects.
Which types of foods are eaten by buffalo and cow?
Buffalo and cow eat oil cake, grass, hay, leaf and grain.
What is the smallest constituent of plant or animal?
The smallest constituent of plants and animal is cell.
Give one example of each plant which is reproduced by (i) stems, (ii) leaves?
- Potato, ginger are reproduced by stems.
- Bryophyllum is reproduced by leaves.
Where do we get honey?
We get honey from honey – bees, which is collected from sweet, juice or nector of flowers.
Name some animals which eat only plants?
Buffalo, cow, goat, sheep and deer.
Name some animals which eat both plants and animals?
Dog and crow.
Name some animals with lay eggs?
Frog, snakes, birds, etc. lay eggs.
Food: Where Does it Come From? Short Answer Type Questions
Name the animals which provide us milk, meat, egg, and honey?
We get milk from buffalo, goat, cow and sheep, we get meat from, fish, goat, hen, etc., we get eggs from hens. Honey is obtained from honey – bees.
Name the plants from which we obtained grains, oils, fruits and pulses?
We get grains from wheat, rice and maize, etc. we get oils from sunflower, mustard, ground nut and soyabean plants, etc. We get fruits from mango, banana, guava, orange and papaya plants. We get pulses from urad, moong, masoor, and gram plants.
Name the plants from which we obtained vegetables?
We get vegetables from radish, brinjal, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, and peas plants, etc. These vegetables are in the form of roots, stems leaves and fruits.
How are plants different from animals?
Difference between plants and animals are:
- All green plants prepare their own food.
- Plants cannot move from one place to another. But they show movement only in the position.
- Animals cannot prepare their own food. They take their food from plants.
- Animals can move from one place to another.
Give five examples each of plants producing, cereals, vegetables, fruits, medicines and timber?
- Cereals plants: Moong, urad, iram, pla, masoor.
- Vegetables – Carrot, radish, turnip, cauliflowers and tomato.
- Fruits – Apple, guava, orange and mango.
- Medicines – Neem, tulasi, podina, ginger and peepal.
- Timber – Neem, guava, jamun, babool and palms.
How can plants be classified?
Plants can be classified on the basis of following:
- Plants can be classified on the basis of their habitat. i.e., water plants, land plants, sea/land plants, water plants, desert plants.
- They can be classified on the basis of their structure like herb, shurb or tree.
- They can be classified on the basis of their food habits like autotrophic plants, insectivorous plants, heterotrophic plants.
Food: Where Does it Come From? Long Answer Type Questions
Write a short note on the importance of plants and animals in our daily life?
Most of the things we use in our daily life are obtained from plants or animals.
- Our food items like wheat, rice, pulses, species, oil, vegetables and fruits are obtained from plants.
- Milk, ghee, butter, curd, egg and meat are obtained from animals.
- Fibers like silk, wool and leather are obtained from animals.
- Many materials for shelter house, construction and furniture are also obtained from plants.
- Some plants are used for decorative purposes.
- Most of the medicines are obtained from living sources. Thus plants are food producing, timber producing, fiber producing and medicine producing source. Plants are also responsible for producing oxygen which is essential for life.
- Animal produce very important material for us. Milk, ghee, egg, meat, silk, leather etc. are produced by animals. They plough our fields and work for transportation. In this way we can say that plants and animals are very important for us.
What are similarities and dissimilarities between plants and animals?
Similarities between plants and animal:
- Both can grow.
- Both can respire.
- Both can reproduce.
- Both can excrete.
- Both can show response to stimuli.
Dissimilarities between plants and animals:
- Plants can prepare their own food in green leaves with the help of carbondioxide, water, minerals and sunlight. But animals can’t prepare their own food.
- Plant’s cannot move from one place to another, but animals can move from one place to another.